A private consultation would be helpful if:
- The baby is not latching on or is not nursing well within 48 hours
- You are engorged or having nipple pain more than 48 hours
- You have had two difficult feeds in a row
- Your baby is not having at least two yellow bowel movements in a 24-hour period, after the third day
- Your baby is sleepy and has fewer than 8 feeds in 24 hours
- You feel your supply is low
- Your baby is a slow gainer
- You have plugged ducts or a red area on your breast
- You intend to return to work or school
- You wish to rent or purchase a breastpump or other nursing supplies.
Private consultations for breastfeeding mothers
If you feel that a private consultation at our office in Newton, MA would be helpful, the fee is $150 per visit ($170 for twins), and this includes follow-up telephone calls. The weekday visit is approximately 90 minutes and generally is scheduled for that day or the next. We find it most helpful to schedule appointments in the morning or early afternoon.
If you would like more information about breastfeeding consultations, please call our office at 617-244-5593 or use our online contact form.
Preparing for a consultation
Please bring the baby ready to feed so that we can observe and assist with the breastfeeding session. Be sure you have had a good breakfast or lunch, because you will retain more of what we say if you are comfortable. It is most helpful if mother and baby come with another supportive family member or friend to learn together.
During your personal consultation
- We will review your pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding history, as well as your goals, expectations and concerns.
- We will weigh your baby on our specialty baby scale prior to the start of the feeding session.
- Observation of the feed will enable us to offer specific suggestions to enhance your breastfeeding experience.
- At the completion of the feeding session, your baby can be re-weighed to determine intake with an accuracy of 2 grams or 1/2 tsp.
- We will provide you with a detailed list of suggestions that will incorporate your specific needs and goals. We also send a letter to your obstetrician and your baby's pediatrician, so that they are fully apprised of our findings and our recommendations.
- Included with your consultation is unlimited phone support.
Consultation follow up
Sometimes accessories or a breastpump may be needed, and the cost is additional. You will leave with a letter of suggestions, and we will stay in touch by telephone to help you get off to a good start with breastfeeding your beautiful baby.
"I want to thank you so much for all of the help you gave me with breastfeeding. You not only gave me great advice with positioning and wake-up techniques, you gave me so much support, and I really needed that. Thank you for calling me after the appointment. We finally got the hang of it and now we are very, very good at breastfeeding (if I say so myself!)" - Amy